Red Apple Cheese in this recipe:
Hickory Smoked Bourbon Gouda Cheese
Time: 40 min cook / 30 min prep
- 1 store bought pie crust, thawed, and pliable
- ½ lb thick cut smoked ham
- ⅔ a wheel of Bourbon Gouda by Red Apple Cheese
- 2 tbsp brandied cherries
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp flake salt
- Zest from one orange
- To begin, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Chop your ingredients into little domino sized pieces.
- Roll your pre-bought pie crust onto an un-greased baking sheet lined with wax paper.
- Starting about an inch from the outside, create your first ham and cheese ring. Place one piece of cheese followed by a piece of ham. Repeat the pattern in a circular rotation until the outer circle is complete.
- Repeat the process creating a smaller ham & cheese circle on the inside.
- Fill the center full of brandied cherries.
- Using both hands, fold the pie crust over the outside of the larger ham and cheese ring, pinching it to stay put.
- Using a brush, gently brush the pie crust with the egg wash and sprinkle with salt, orange zest, and half the sugar.
- Sprinkle the rest of the sugar onto the ham and cheese dominos.
- Put the prepared galette in the oven. Cook it for 30-40 minutes until all the cheese has melted and the pie crust is a beautiful flaky golden color. If your cheese or a part of the crust begins to burn, try tenting it with a sheet of tinfoil so it stops it from overcooking.
- Lastly, let the galette rest for a moment so the cheese has a chance to thicken up. This way, when you cut it, it won’t ooze out.
Recipe first posted by the Grilled Cheese Social with pictures of a step by step instructions. More recipes for our gouda cheeses can be found on this blog as well.