Red Apple Cheese in this recipe:
Red Apple Honey Sriracha Gouda Cheese
Time: 30 min cook / 10 min prep
Ingredients for Mornay Sauce:
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups milk
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- ¼ white onion
- pinch of white pepper
- 4 oz Red Apple Honey Sriracha Gouda shredded
- 2 bay leaves each
- 4 oz white wine
Ingredients for Garnish:
- 2 oz oyster mushrooms
- 2 oz mini portobello mushrooms
- 1 oz olive oil
- pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 2 oz Red Apple Honey Sriracha Gouda shredded
- 1 oz green onion chopped
Ingredients for Pasta:
- 8 oz spaghetti
- Cook pasta al dente in salted, boiling water (8 minutes approximately). Pasta may be chilled and set aside if cooking in advance.
- For the sauce, combine milk, onion piece, salt, pepper, and bay leaves in a saucepan. Heat until it simmers. In a separate pan, melt the butter. Once melted, add the flour. Combine and cook to create a roux (thickening agent). Strain the milk to remove the solids, and return to saucepan. Combine the roux into the milk with a whisk. Whisk thoroughly over mid/high heat until the sauce begins to thicken. Add the shredded Red Apple Honey Gouda Cheese to melt completely into the sauce and add the white wine.
- Clean and slice the mushrooms and the tomatoes. Saute ingredients in olive oil in a saute pan. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a saute pan and add enough shredded cheese to cover the bottom. Slowly allow the cheese to melt. When the cheese begins to brown on the bottom gently flip over with the help of a spatula. Remove from heat, allow to cool, and break into randomly sized pieces.
- Reheat the cooked pasta in boiling water (30 seconds). Reheat the cheese sauce and combine with the hot pasta. Serve the pasta and sauce on a plate. Top the pasta off with the sautéed mushrooms and tomatoes, pieces of the cheese crust, and fresh sliced green onion.